“Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things.”
“If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more, and become more, you are a leader.”
-John Quincy Adams, 6th President of the United States
Looking to upgrade your job title to something with the word “manager” in it? Already have the title but want to be more effective? Consider improving your management and organizational skills. Organizational psychology, which “is characterized by the scientific study of human behavior in organizations and the work place. The specialty focuses on deriving principles of individual, group and organizational behavior and applying this knowledge to the solution of problems at work,” according to the American Psychological Association. But let’s be honest…you’re probably not looking to go get a degree in organizational psychology just to achieve your career goals.
Here are a few tips you can implement without filling out a college enrollment form:
- Motivate:Through motivation, you and your employees can make the most of the time you have, helping all of you become true assets to your company. You can do this by creating awards and incentives for outstanding performance, helping employees take ownership of their projects, and showing genuine appreciation for employee accomplishments.
- Problem solving:As a leader in your company, you need to have excellent problem solving skills. You’ve likely already developed them in your work to get to your current position. Problem solvers must think analytically and have great attention to detail. Learn to troubleshoot quickly and spot problems before they occur.
- Professionalism:Leaders must set an example for the people they manage. They must show initiative, and they must show excellent customer service skills. Being professional is a must to advance in a career.
- Communication:Communication is a key aspect of any relationship or any leadership position. You must learn to communicate in speech and in writing clearly and concisely. This also means being able to communicate well with your employees and help them advance and improve in their positions without coming off as nagging or contemptuous.
- Innovation:Leaders are innovative. They come up with ideas to improve their company without being asked to. They help to redesign things to make them more efficient or productive. Innovation skills are key to keeping a company ahead of the curve in their industry and can make you an invaluable member of the team.
Working on these skills and other related skills will help you in your current position or help you to prove that you have what it takes to be in a leadership position. They will help people view you as a leader and will help you be more efficient in your work.
When you begin to act like a leader, people will view you as a leader—but that process takes time; it’s not automatic. Counseling can help. Counseling isn’t just for people experiencing stress, depression, loss, or other struggles—Lehigh Valley Counselors counseling for management skills is for those who simply want to improve.
Make an appointment for Lehigh Valley Counselors Counseling for management skills at 610-596-4222. We can usually set up your first appointment within 24 hours. Why wait to start improving?